Our Pathology laboratory is staffed by experienced medical and paramedical personnel, that is, by pathologists with more than 20 years of experience. Additionally, the laboratory is directed by a university professor. Specific procedures, the management of the flow of medical incidents, test results, and the laboratory’s interconnection with its branches are supported by the renowned IT department.
Our laboratory’s key role is the study of human organs, tissues, or cells during the diagnostic investigation of all diseases and neoplasms.
DIAGNOSIS AND MEDICAL TESTS
The pathological examination establishes the diagnosis but also determines and / or modifies the treatment of patients with malignant neoplasms (e.g., whether to administer the drug Herceptin, by checking the levels of Her2 protein in case of breast cancer). The main materials studied by a pathologist are tissue samples from biopsies, surgeries, and aspirations. The tissues to be examined under a microscope undergo a series of technical processes which are performed by experienced technicians using state-of-the-art equipment that bears the required certifications.
In BIOIATRIKI Healthcare Group’s laboratory are carried out:
- Standard histological examinations, e.g., fast-track biopsies (FTB) whose results are of primary importance because they offer immediate diagnostic direction.
- Special histological examinations such as bone marrow, skin, and mucosal biopsies, with direct immunofluorescence (DIF).
- Advisory Histological examinations, e.g., lymphatic tissues.
These tests are supported and increasingly supplemented by many new specialized diagnostic techniques such as Histochemistry, Immunofluorescence and Immunohistochemistry.
Immunohistochemistry plays a major role in the determination of prognostic factors, whose results directly affect the choice of targeted treatment or are considered in the statistical models to determine the survival expectancy of patients with neoplasms.
All pathological diagnostic tests related to tissue material are assisted by methods of genetic and molecular biology that are now necessary for the modern and safe approach to pathological diagnosis.
Additionally, we monitor amplification, translocation, or other structural and numerical alterations of specific genes involved in the etiology of various neoplasms, for which modern individualized therapies have been designed and applied.
The Pathology laboratory – upon patient or treating physician request provides additional services, such as:
- Incorporation of representative histological images in the Medical Reports.
- Translation of the medical findings of the entire histological examination.
- Supervision and dispatching of a histological sample to a specialized center abroad (choice of the patient or the therapist), or to MayoClinic, with which our Group maintains a long-term cooperation.
This service is not only for Group’s patients, but for everyone, including a selection of representative material (paraffin cubes and / or slides), with or without obtaining new histological slices, compilation of an accompanying translation of the medical report and findings, and secretarial support for the correct drafting of the relevant shipping documents.